Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Dreaming of a New Bicycle Built for Two!

I have a new job! That's why I haven't been posting updates so frequently in recent weeks. I've been happily busy.

With the new job has come an adjustment period. New responsibilities. A new schedule. Juggling parental obligations. More demands on my time... but my work is interesting and challenging, and I love it!

Thankfully, with the change of seasons and daylight savings time, David and I have been able to walk together early in the mornings and sometimes squeeze in a quick tandem ride after the workday. The exercise absolutely makes a positive difference in my focus and energy level. And although I am getting less sleep, I am sleeping well.

The financial security of having a job means a regular income we can depend upon, and it has given us hope that we might soon be able to afford a new -- well, more likely, a used... tandem bicycle! We've been dreaming of trading-up for well over a year, and previously, we just couldn't justify the expense.

These bicycles built for two are not inexpensive. A pre-owned tandem bicycle in decent shape will start out at least $1500.

Our Burley Duet

Our current tandem is a 10 year old red Burley Duet. Burley doesn't make tandems anymore. The company is most popular now for their child bicycle trailers. Our bike has been good to us. But at 48 pounds loaded with four filled water bottles, we would like something newer and lighter ~ Although, I have told David that I think it would be a lot cheaper for us to loose 10 pounds vs. buying a lighter bicycle!

We've been browsing through the online classifieds and telling our cyclist friends of our desire for something newer, just in case anyone has a deal for us on a well cared for, not-too-old, previously loved tandem in fantastic condition. As we search out avenues of possibilities in pursuit of a tandem dream, I'll be sure to post about our progress.

Our current tandem would offer good stability and solid structure for a couple just starting out cycling together. We'll be wanting to sell it soon, as the possibility of us buying an upgrade comes closer to reality.


No comments:

Post a Comment